[Adass-announce] VO session in Prague : call for papers

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 9 08:04:49 MST 2006

Occasionally we send announcements for conferences other than ADASS to
the ADASS announcement mailing list - but only when we feel the
announcement is of special interest to our entire community.
This is such a case.  Its source is the IVOA Executive Committee.

  - ADASS POC

Please consider a paper for the VO session at the IAU GA in Prague ...

                   ===============
                   Call for Papers
                   ===============

"The Virtual Observatory in Action:  New Science, New Technology, and
Next Generation Facilities"

IAU General Assembly, Prague, Special Session 3
17-18 and 21-22 August 2006

http://www.astronomy2006.com/special-sessions.php#sps3

The Scientific Organizing Committee of Special Session 3 encourages the
submission of contributed papers (oral and poster) describing new
research results and technical advances related to the Virtual
Observatory. Contributed papers will complement a program of invited
presentations by C. Cesarsky, I. Foster, G. Gilmore, F. Hill, A.
Kembhavi, C. Kuijken, M. Mountain, H. Okuda, P. Quinn, M. Rees, A.
Szalay, and T. Tyson.

Topics for this Special Session include

*  Cosmology and galactic structure with very large  databases
*  Rare object multi-wavelength searches: the universe at 10 pc and z=10
*  Serendipitous discoveries with the VO - the Sun-Earth connection
*  Population analysis: stars, galaxies, quasars, solar system bodies
*  Data mining with SDSS, WFCAM, VISTA, the LSST, and other large  surveys
*  Data management for major facilities such as ALMA, ELT, GAIA, and SKA
*  Technical progress on the VO infrastructure
*  New VO-enabled applications
*  The semantic web and the future VO

Abstracts must be submitted through the IAU web site at
http://iau.conference-services.net/authorlogin.asp?conferenceID=609 and
are due by 26 June 2006.  We encourage contributors to submit their
abstracts as soon as possible, however, to allow adequate time for
planning the full agenda.

We also remind potential participants that the deadline for applying
for IAU travel grants is 9 April 2006, and the deadline for early
registration is 15 May 2006.

A conference web site with more information about the programme and
soon will be ready in due course.