[Adass-announce] Abstract deadline for SPIE 2012

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Dec 14 07:24:33 MST 2011

Hello ADASS!

(Pardon if you see multiple versions of this message, although that is likely a sign that you should consider submitting an abstract :-)

What's true for VOEvent is true for the many and sundry ADASS projects as well:  creative ideas are great.  Actually deploying and using systems layered on great ideas is even better.  The biennial SPIE Astronomical Telescopes and Instrumentation meeting is where the movers and shakers from major observatories come together and make things happen.  The ADASS community has to engage with with these real-world institutions and projects if our shared ambition of reinventing the practice of astronomy is to be realized.

Anything you have to say about ADASS-style operations issues is likely to be fresh and new again to this audience.  And I guarantee that other projects will have useful things to say that ADASS should be listening to.  In addition to the Observatory Operations conference (thread) described below, the "Software and Cyberinfrastruce" and Systems Engineering conferences will also be of great interest to our community.  And the more traditional engineering sessions often include details about major new astronomical projects that are hard to come across any other way - projects that will steer ADASS activities in future years, as should be clear from the several ADASS personages also organizing the SPIE Observatory Operations conference.

Rob Seaman
NOAO
---

Begin forwarded message: