[Adass-announce] ADASS XXXI - Early Announcement

ADASS announcement list adass-announce at adass.org
Fri Mar 5 12:26:40 MST 2021

                                  Early Announcement

                                        ADASS XXXI
  Astronomical Data Analysis Software and Systems Conference Series

                                    24 - 28 October, 2021
                  The Westin Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa

                                   http://adass2021.ac.za

Mark your calendars for the 31st annual conference on Astronomical Data
Analysis
Software and Systems (http://adass.org).  The conference will be held on
24-28
October 2021, and hosted by IDIA, RATT, and SARAO.

This annual conference, held in a different location each year, is a forum
for
astronomers, computer scientists, software engineers, faculty members and
students working in areas related to algorithms, software and systems for
the
acquisition, reduction, analysis, and dissemination of astronomical data.

The ADASS XXXI program will include invited talks, contributed papers,
display
sessions, tutorials, computer demonstrations, and special interest ("Birds
of a
Feather" or BoF) meetings. These activities aim to stimulate further
development
of software and systems to meet the data science challenges of astronomy.

Registration and abstract submissions are NOT yet open but the website is
available at http://adass2021.ac.za.  More information will be added as the
planning
progresses.

At this time, we are still hoping for an in-person meeting.  However, the
situation
is still volatile, as we all know too well.  We have two potential decision
points,
one in mid-April, another in mid-June.  The backup plan is a virtual
meeting like last year, or maybe a hybrid format with a smaller in-person
meeting with virtual
sessions.  We will keep you updated as the world-wide Covid-19 situation
unfolds.

As we prepare the program, a call for key themes has been issued.  The
community, you, is asked to propose and vote on the themes you would like
to be
featured at this year's ADASS.  This year we are using "tricider" to
collect
your theme suggestions.  You will find the question for this year's themes
at:

   http://www.tricider.com/brainstorming/2S5028ol4Yl

You do not need to register to submit suggestions or to vote.  As separate
communication on this will follow.

The International Virtual Observatory Alliance (IVOA) at this moment is
planning to
hold its meeting immediately after ADASS, on 29-31 October, at the same
venue.

Program Organising Committee (POC)
   Christophe Arviset (ESA-ESAC)
   Pascal Ballester (ESO)
   Sébastien Derrière (CDS)
   Kimberly DuPrie (STScI)
   Mike Fitzpatrick, POC Exec (OIRLab-CSDC)
   Stephen Gwyn, Deputy Chair (CADC)
   Kathleen Labrie, POC Chair (OIRLab-Gemini)
   Brian Kent (NRAO)
   Nuria Lorente (AAO-MQ)
   Jessica Mink (SAO)
   Fabio Pasian (INAF)
   Francesco Pierfederici (IRAM)
   Roberto Pizzo (ASTRON)
   Jose Enrique Ruiz (IAA-CSIC)
   Yuji Shirasaki (NAOJ)
   Keith Shortridge (K&V)
   Oleg Smirnov (Rhodes University + SARAO)
   Mark Taylor (Bristol)
   Russ Taylor (IDIA)
   Peter Teuben (UMD)
   Xiuqin Wu (IPAC)

Local Organizing Committee (LOC)
   Oleg Smirnov (Rhodes University + SARAO)
   Russ Taylor (IDIA)

Best regards,

Kathleen Labrie on behalf of the ADASS POC,
Oleg Smirnov and Russ Taylor on behalf of the ADASS XXXI LOC.

---
Links:

Venue:
   The Westin Cape Town,